Square Root of Fractions
Square is the number we get when a number is multiplied by itself. Even though we are often used to find square root of whole numbers, square root of fractions do exist. You may find the prcess complext but they have simple steps hence easier to solve. Let’s understand the formula and different steps of square root of fractions.
What is square root of fractions?
Square root of fractions means finding the square root of the “numerator” and the “denominator” then divide them by each other.
Parts of a fraction
Before we get to finding square root of a fraction, it’s important to understand parts of a fractions. Here are components of fractions that you should know:
● Numerator: this is the top most part of a fraction. It shows the number of parts in a whole or collection.
● Denominator: this is the number below the line of a fraction. It shows the total number of equal parts.
● Fraction bar: this is the line between the “numerator” and “denominator”, it separates these two sections of a fraction.
Square root of a fraction formula
The following formula is used to calculate square root of a fraction:
√fraction=√numerator / √denominator
How to find square root of a number
Follow these steps:
● Identify the numbers: first, check the correct numbers, identify the numerator (the number on top of the fraction) and the denominator (the number below the fraction).
● Find the square root of the “numerator”: to find the square root of the numerator in a fraction, find the factors of the given number. Factors are numbers that we multiply together and get the number we are calculating from. Therefore, to find a factor, get two or more numbers that you can multiply together and make your target number.
● Find the square root of the “denominator”: this is similar to finding the square root of the numerator. You need to find the factors of the number.
● Division: divide the square root of the numerator and that of the denominator.
1. Find the Square Root of 49/81
The square root of the numerator is 7
The square root of the denominator is 9
Therefore the square root of 49/81 = 7/9 or 0.7777778
2. Find the Square root of 144/400
The square root of 144 is 12
The square root of 400 is 20
Therefore the square root of 144/400 = 12/ 20 = 6/10 or 0.